Faith of Freedom

An invitation to all races, color, and system of thought, where Islam is the agenda: from politics to family life.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:42 pm

Salam,

Well I typed Jihad into google, just to see what would come up, and the second link i found (the first one was from Wiki) was this:

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/990

It's an article written by Daniel Pipes for the New York Post on Dec. 31st, 2002...

Read it... and share your thoughts upon it.

Allah Hafiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://faithoffreedom.forumotion.com
Peace Within

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 pm

WalikumSalaam Admin,

It's great to see how others have begun perceive Islam after 9/11. Daniel Pipe's system of thought is no different than what many Muslim would call arrogance. I only being 18, hope that maybe one day he can read what I have to say about Jihad. I wont blame him for his false account of Jihad, because I'll admit he's a neophyte in the field of Islamic History and Ideology, so I'll give him space to breathe. For those who want to further read my account on Jihad, visit this website: My Argument Discretion is advised. My worthy opponent doesn't know how to speak English nor is he that great at keeping a freindly forum voice. Continuing:

Jihad comes from the Arab/Hebrew word Jahad'a, which is the infinitive word-form of 'Jihad. What does Jihad mean? It means to strive, to struggle. What might immediately pop up in your mind is that it's a term that's used to fight the 'infidels'. On the contrary, it's a very normal term. For example take this Quranic verse:

In this example another form of the word Jihad is used, Jahadka.

وَوَصَّيْنَا الإِنسَانَ بِوَالِدَيْهِ حُسْنًا وَإِنْ جَاهَدَاكَ لِتُشْرِكَ بِي مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ فَلاَ تُطِعْهُمَا إِلَيَّ مَرْجِعُكُمْ فَأُنَبِّئُكُمْ بِمَا كُنْتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ (العنكبوت: 8 ) . [مكّية.]

Translation:
And We have enjoined on man goodness to parents, but if they jahadaka (do jihad against you) to make you associate [a god] with Me, of which you have no knowledge [being a god], do not obey them. To Me is your return [O people!], so I shall inform you of your past deeds ( 29.8 ). [Meccan.]

Here the word jihad is not used in a military sense--you can see that Jihad is used as 'struggle', 'strive', 'to make done excessively'. In this instance if the parents struggle to convince you to do something that is not appreciated by God, then he gives you permission to not obey the parents. There are many other quotations from the Quran I can post. I'm sure Admin you could do a better job.

This is just a copy-and-paste from my argument. Admin do you have anything to add?

Mulciber Ilus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Well i don't have much to add except i was rather surprised when i read this portion:

Mr. Pipes asks "What is Jihad?" and he replies:

"One answer came last week, when Saddam Hussein had his Islamic leaders appeal to Muslims worldwide to join his jihad to defeat the "wicked Americans" should they attack Iraq; then he himself threatened the United States with jihad.

As this suggests, jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims."

He firstly says that jihad is "holy war" and then says that it's the "legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims."

Mr. Pipes concludes that jihad means "holy war" because of a statement Hussein made? and more so... "to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims"... Err... I think it means more of "to struggle" or "to strive". Whatever Pipes has said is plain ignorant. Mr. Pipes, being a historian and an analyst of the Middle East, should at least know the true meaning of the word "jihad" and not buy into all that Islamofacist thing promoted by the news networks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://faithoffreedom.forumotion.com
Topi

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:21 am

Salaams

If Mr. Pipes thinks Jihad means Holy War... he should look back at Christianity's Holy wars...

1. Crusades

2. Reconquista of the Cordova Emirate

3. Bosniak Genocide

4. Reconquista of the Sultanate of Mingdinao/Sulu
( Present day Phillipines)

5. Mass FORCED conversions of Muslims to Christianty in Khanate of Kazan by Muscovy

6. Mass FORCED conversions of Muslims to Christianty in Khanate of Crimea by the Russian Empire

7. Pourtugese Imperialist Missionaries in Timor...

8. British Imperialist Missionaries in the British Raj

9. NEAR EXTINCTION OF NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE, BY WE ALL KNOW WHO!!! NATIVE AMERICANS IN BOLIVIA ARE STILL FIGHTING FOR THEIR RIGHTS!!!

...There is much more...

Although "Jihad" does not mean holy war... if he really wants to believe it that way...hence he should also look Christianity...which has shed so much more blood...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
druidboy

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:22 am

yeah.. that's the sadness of the history of the world. most of these knowledge is masqueraded and hidden from most public knowledge. most of this is caused by religious intolerance and people's conscious belief of something that they precede as the truth or what they had been unknowingly falsely told because the pple who told them possible didn't kno either. an endless cycle that breeds baseless hatred and resentment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peace Within

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Salaam Druidboy,

The truth is, Islam preaches religious tolerance. If you remember watching the Kingdom of Heaven, they forgot to present the Muslims as tolerant people towards other faiths. In fact the movie is historically incorrect at the end. You saw thousands of Christians and Jews leave Jerusalem for Europe. Historically, Saladin allowed people to practice their own faith in Jerusalem. If you look at the statistics today, slightly less than twenty percent of the population of Israel are Muslims. Some sources report sixteen percent of Israel is Muslim. If religious tolerance hadn't been practiced in Jerusalem you would definitely not have other religions outnumber Muslims in this region. Also there are 14 million Arab Coptic Christians today that live within the realms of the Saudi Peninsula. That just goes to show, that Islam was never spread by the sword. Surely there must have been some people, the black-sheep of society, that were deluded by their over-zealous dogmas that did harm to some Christians and Jews. That's a part I wont ever deny. You've got Christian Terrorists, Jewish Terrorists, Hindu Terrorists, Muslim Terrorists, Sikh Terrorists, and even Bhuddhist Terrorists. People who aren't educated are simply exploited by other people, but if you're educated your mind can never be exploited by anyone.

Peace Within
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topi

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Assalamulaykum,

This guy only says the garb he is saying, because he probably supports the Israeli Lobby...
What else could be the other reason?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peace Within

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:48 pm

That shouldn't make a difference to a man whose so well versed in Middle Eastern History.

Peace Within
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topi

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 am

Assalamulaykum,

Whatever! The point has been proven, and for all we could know maybe he was a drunkard...

Or maybe he was payed to write an article.

*Laughing*...*Also listen to this*

Actually in New York City, for the "New York Times", I think one of the writers/editors got fired because of "making stuff up" or "inspiring hatred." Just so he could make his articles more interesting. I will try to bring that up from one of my old teachers who brought that up during one of his seminars.

He is right now in Australia, so just wait...
Allah Hafiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peace Within

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am

That is known to happening a lot, especially when you look at writers like Stephen Glass. Daniel Pipes I believe is known for inspiring hatred, however I do believe Robert Moyer was caught for lying in a highly reputable magazine. That's what happens when you're into spreading your beliefs.

Peace Within
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topi

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Assalamulaykum,

You mean racism...

Allah Hafiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peace Within

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Pipes' article on Jihad   Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:41 pm