Faith of Freedom

An invitation to all races, color, and system of thought, where Islam is the agenda: from politics to family life.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yokhen

PostSubject: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Quote :
...Our God, the God of all humans, Allah forgives all sins but it all depends on your sincerity. The one sin he cannot forget is shirk (which is associating others with him). ...
...If there's even a gram of faith in you, you have been saved, but remember, it depends all on your personal account.

I saw this from another topic and I was just wondering, Is it such the dependence of Muslim people to their god that they have to be forgiven by 'him' and not by themselves? Because what I mean is that sometimes one is so hypocrite with oneself that they just pray, then "feel" they've been forgiven and then continue doing the same error or sometimes even think that everything is alright or will be, but it instead gets worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raindrops

PostSubject: Re: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Assalamualaikum...

first off, i'd like to say that you have a really good point. many Muslims today feel that they can indulge in whatever they wish and then ask for forgiveness, only to then go out and do the same thing again. however, this attitude is injustifiable and reflects a lack of understanding of the Qur'an because there are certain conditions that must be met for forgiveness to be accepted...consider the following verse:

"...your Lord has written Mercy for Himself so that if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds, then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surat Al-An'am, Verse 54)

if someone commits a sin out of ignorance, then Allah SWT says that He will forgive him, under the condition that he realizes he acted wrongly and then goes on to make certain that he doesn't commit the same sin again. Allah knows that it is human nature to be tempted and make mistakes, so he offer us the chance to repent and redeem ourselves. at the same time however, repentance has to be sincere and heartfelt in order to be accepted...i hope that helps answer your question Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdullah50

PostSubject: Re: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 am

xwardahx wrote:
Assalamualaikum...

first off, i'd like to say that you have a really good point. many Muslims today feel that they can indulge in whatever they wish and then ask for forgiveness, only to then go out and do the same thing again. however, this attitude is injustifiable and reflects a lack of understanding of the Qur'an because there are certain conditions that must be met for forgiveness to be accepted...consider the following verse:

"...your Lord has written Mercy for Himself so that if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds, then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surat Al-An'am, Verse 54)

if someone commits a sin out of ignorance, then Allah SWT says that He will forgive him, under the condition that he realizes he acted wrongly and then goes on to make certain that he doesn't commit the same sin again. Allah knows that it is human nature to be tempted and make mistakes, so he offer us the chance to repent and redeem ourselves. at the same time however, repentance has to be sincere and heartfelt in order to be accepted...i hope that helps answer your question Smile

Perfect answer. I was going to put a little bit more evidence

Here's something else that you should learn. Whenever the human being commits these actions, the sins(or saiet) begin to increase. Some examples include little sins such as cussing or any forms of resentment. Not only the human doesn't regret his actions but he also builds up some resentment and much more sins when the day of Judgement for him arrives. But like what wardah said, if you truly regret your actions, Allah will be Merciful and not only that but all these sins will disappear
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yokhen

PostSubject: Re: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 pm

I understand, It would be the same thing that a catholic person would say about his/her god and actually I would share it if I'd be a believer.

I know some of you will not know how to answer this part, but how about this: you ask for pardon to god and "he forgives you" but you feel even worse because the problem is not fixed, of course you have to do more than pray to fix a problem, but what about if for example: you broke up a friendship saying ugly things, eventually you know it is not going to be same and you miss your friend and his/her friendship. You ask for pardon to god and (as said before) "he (or she, who knows...) forgives you" but you still continue feeling in fault, guilty, and without making it much more longer: your life, even having received god's pardon, becomes sadder and sadder, so that's why I ask this, why is it more important to ask for pardon to a god if in some, i would say MANY cases, someone cannot even forgive him/herself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm

You need to get your key terms fixed..
asking for repentance doesn't mean you just SAY sorry, and only ASK for forgiveness. When you truly want to seek forgiveness, you have to do something good about it.

Lets take an example, lets say you robbed some one, and you have the money with you. BUT then all of a sudden you realize your sin, and repent about it. You don't just go say sorry to God, and still use the money, which is being a hypocrite cuz u just asked for forgiveness but still continue with your WRONG stuff. If you really wanted to be forgiven, you would try to put that money for some good use, not for any personal things, or even better return the money. This would not only make you feel good, but also get you ur forgiveness that you prayed for earlier.
Brother Yokhen, this is forgiveness...u cant expect to be forgiven if u still think that there is something wrong going on, and just expect it to disappear just cuz u prayed and apologized to God. You have to do somehting about it...only then you are truly asking for forgiveness from your sins..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?   

Back to top Go down

Why Cannot someone forgive him/herself?
Page 1 of 1